Science Outreach Athabasca – The Ape in You: What it means to be 2% human


Event Details


Science Outreach –Athabasca presents…
The Ape in You: What it means to be 2% human

Speaker:  Dr. Hugh Notman, Associate Professor in Biological Anthropology with a specialization in Primatology, Athabasca University
Date:  Wednesday, November 15, 2017
Time:  7:00 PM to 8:30 PM
Place:  Athabasca University Governing Council Chambers

Have you ever wondered why watching monkeys and apes at the zoo can feel like looking into a mirror? Are we really just naked, two-legged apes? Perhaps – especially given the oft-cited statistic that we share 98% of our genes with the chimpanzees. But does that mean all of our unique “human-ness” can be captured in the other 2%? In this discussion, we will explore some of the facts and misconceptions concerning our place in the primate family tree; where our shared traits with the nonhuman primates might come from, and what the “two-percent” differences might really mean.

MORE ABOUT SCIENCE OUTREACH ATHABASCA

Follow us on Twitter: @SciOutrAthab
Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/scienceoutreachAU/
Visit: http://scienceoutreach.ab.ca/